[zanog-discuss] vote in the upcoming afrinic elections.

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquid.tech
Thu May 27 16:05:33 SAST 2021

Having looked through the PDP of late -  and having watched the total lack of transparency from the AfriNIC board around certain issues, and the absolute shambles I am seeing in their billing and their handling of customer invoices – I am now more convinced than I have ever been that AfriNIC is an institution that is broken beyond repair.

I’ve been asked by multiple people who I will be voting for – and so – I figured I’d go on the record and say – chances are – no one – because I see little point any more, I tried my best for years to do what is best in terms of AfriNIC – sadly – it seems it was beyond me to affect real change – and while we did manage to turn the organisations finances around from the where they were making $80k a year losses to where they actually had some operating surplus – the rest – is nothing short of an unmitigated disaster.

The only reason I am responding to this is because, Nishal, sorry, I have to disagree with you – we do not empower AfriNIC through the PDP – because the PDP is fundamentally broken, since it is very obvious to anyone who understands the definition of rough consensus that that is not what is followed on the PDP.  Participation in the PDP these days simply means that you pick a side and the side that shouts the loudest eventually wins out – irrespective of sanity or actual concerns or what is in the best interests of the industry.

Bring on the transfer policy – time to leave this dogs breakfast behind

Andrew