[zanog-discuss] vote in the upcoming afrinic elections.

Paul Wollner paul.wollner at africaoncloud.net
Thu May 27 19:27:21 SAST 2021

Hi Nishal

I have to disagree with you.

It is members’, including all the businesses’ choice to be part of AFRINIC member base, empowering AFRINIC.

If a large percentage of the membership disagree with AFRINIC, and setup XNIC and run its own database, they entirely can.

No law in the world forces you to recognise AFRINIC, or any RIR for that matter’s database as the only athletic database of the internet. The decentralised	nature of the internet allow any part of it to leave or join at anytime.

So if enough members of RIR system choose a different system, and choose to refuse to recognise the RIR system tomorrow, they have the rights to do so and no law in any country prevent that.

The cooperation of business to AFRINIC’s registration database are entirely VOLUNTARY, and by its nature, it is the members that empower AFRINIC, not the other way around.

No body “own” those  “integers”, let alone “let African network gets their own address space”. When IP address were invented, it was never the intent to be geographical. Instead, it by it’s birth promoted a one world concept that does not discriminate based on your location, your colour, nationality, let alone continent. You seem to say that somehow African networks will not get IPs if not for AFRINIC when,  in fact, many African networks today, some very large ones, claim they are far better off without AFRINIC. AFRINIC themselves estimate 30% revenue loss if an inter RIR policy passes. African networks do not want to deal with AFRINIC at this moment, the organisation is so poorly managed, people would rather stay with RIPE while using their space here in AFRICA. Andrew Alston has publicly said that in the past in which he represents one of continent’s largest networks. So, NO. If anything, AFRINIC have done a horrible job in distributing and maintaining their registration database. Marred by corruption and scandals, they are NOT empowering its members.

Your very argument claim they still have free space while other RIR’s don’t is exactly the proof of that. Everywhere in the continent we hear about  people who needs IPs that struggle to apply for them from AFRINIC. There is an inability to distribute IPs effectively and in the same time have their own staff members steal the IPs and sell it in the black market. This is not empowering members, it is slowing the development of AFRICA as a whole.

And I am here try to save the organisation before it collapses, and make sure future distribution of space will be effective, members have freedom to manage their space, and with a functioning open transparent market.

Regards

Paul

---- On Thu, 27 May 2021 14:57:15 +0200 Nishal Goburdhan via zanog-discuss <zanog-discuss at lists.nog.net.za> wrote ----

On 26 May 2021, at 18:09, Paul Wollner via zanog-discuss wrote:

> So, no, it is not AFRINIC leasing IPs to you, it is you, as an LIR and
> a stakeholder in the internet who  participate in a voluntary
> cooperative basis to empower AFRINIC to run its registration database.

the premise of this argument is incorrect.  the internet (not just the
RIR system) is built around centralised registration systems.
uniqueness requires this.  we have a single IANA, a single DNS root
system, and a similarly designed single numbering system (per protocol).
 snubbing uniqueness and standards can be fun;  that’s akin to
saying:  i want to run my mail server on port 80  (which, of course, you
can do).  or, i want to run a alternate set of top level domains (which,
was actually a thing, once!).  and, of course, you can simply thumb suck
address space and an asn too.  good luck with making any of that work at
scale.

as a member you do not empower afrinic.  if anything, the _single best
thing_ that afrinic has ever done, was to empower african networks (ie.
its members) into getting their own address space.  afrinic’s pdp
meant that african network operators could get an IPv4 /22, which was
*considerably* easier to obtain than a /19 from arin at the time.

as a community, you empower afrinic via its pdp process.

—n.