[zanog-discuss] vote in the upcoming afrinic elections.

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Thu May 27 14:57:15 SAST 2021

On 26 May 2021, at 18:09, Paul Wollner via zanog-discuss wrote:

> So, no, it is not AFRINIC leasing IPs to you, it is you, as an LIR and
> a stakeholder in the internet who  participate in a voluntary
> cooperative basis to empower AFRINIC to run its registration database.

the premise of this argument is incorrect.  the internet (not just the
RIR system) is built around centralised registration systems.
uniqueness requires this.  we have a single IANA, a single DNS root
system, and a similarly designed single numbering system (per protocol).
  snubbing uniqueness and standards can be fun;  that’s akin to
saying:  i want to run my mail server on port 80  (which, of course, you
can do).  or, i want to run a alternate set of top level domains (which,
was actually a thing, once!).  and, of course, you can simply thumb suck
address space and an asn too.  good luck with making any of that work at
scale.

as a member you do not empower afrinic.  if anything, the _single best
thing_ that afrinic has ever done, was to empower african networks (ie.
its members) into getting their own address space.  afrinic’s pdp
meant that african network operators could get an IPv4 /22, which was
*considerably* easier to obtain than a /19 from arin at the time.

as a community, you empower afrinic via its pdp process.

—n.