[zanog-discuss] vote in the upcoming afrinic elections.

Saul Stein saul at enetworks.co.za
Wed May 26 14:29:30 SAST 2021

Hi Paul,

Firstly, you haven’t answered Warrick’s question.

My understanding is as follows:

I think that you have a few issues mistaken.

Firstly you don’t own IP resources, they are allocated to you / leased from the RIR for YOUR dedicated use.

You are complaining that due to the rules of AFRINIC, you can’t change your business model. This is nothing new and we’re all in the same boat. If WE have an issue with that, its OUR fault, because WE make the rules, not the BOARD.
Your misconception here is that the board makes the rules for AFRINIC. The rules contained in the CPM are comprised of policies discussed and approved via the bottom up approach of the entire community through rough consensus in the PDWG (https://afrinic.net/policy/manual#:~:text=About%20the%20CPM,-Version%201.6%20Click&text=Policies%20are%20created%20through%20a,and%20adopted%20(by%20AFRINIC).)
The board only enforces the rules the community creates.

The board has doesn’t make the rules, If you think that you are going fix this problem by being on the board, I am very worried. If its policy change you’re after, get involved in the PDWG and make the change you are after.

Just my 2c
Saul