[zanog-discuss] vote in the upcoming afrinic elections.

Paul Wollner paul.wollner at africaoncloud.net
Wed May 26 13:37:11 SAST 2021

Hello everyone,

I would like to make my thoughts clear here.

I have nothing against IP brokers. In fact, as four out of the five RIRs have IP brokers listed in their website, I believe IP brokers exist for a legitimate business reason.

I am running in this position to protect the interest of all IP address holders in the continent. While in all the other regions you have freedom to manage your network however you want, in this region, AFRINIC’s CEO just made clear that if you even want even a slight change on the purpose of your usage of IP, you will need report to AFRINIC("Members should notify AFRINIC about any change impacting allocated IP Number resources and surrender to AFRINIC any IP number resources no longer required." - Eddy Kayihura - CEO of AFRINIC). Effectively, you surrender your freedom to manage your network to AFRINIC at its entirety.

Moreover, if you experience a downturn in your business, in the entire world except in AFRINIC, you can monetise your IPs for 30 USD per IP in a free, open market, while here, AFRINIC ask you to give it back to them for free. I don’t think it is fair to any of the IP resource holders in the continent.

So to make my campaign message clear: If you hold IP addresses, I would like to protect your freedom to manage your own network, not facing risk of loss of rights to use those IPs because every little change of your business needs report back to AFRINIC. I also would like to protect your freedom just like any RIR in the rest of the world, to monetise your rights of to use your IPs when you are in economic down turn. I believe it is in the interest of all members.

Regards

Paul Wollner

---- On Tue, 25 May 2021 23:26:50 +0200 Warrick Boyd <warrick at gigazone.co.za> wrote ----

Quick campaign question for you

Don’t you think it’s odd to have an IP Broker being your most prolific supporter?

Warrick