[zanog-discuss] vote in the upcoming afrinic elections.

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Tue May 25 19:25:11 SAST 2021

On 24 May 2021, at 17:19, Jaco Kroon wrote:

> 1.  Please do vote.  Really, we've been fighting what I can only
> describe as a war the last few months on the RPD list and we really
> need
> to get someone in the chair position that is righteous and above
> reproach.

just to be clear, this is a vote for an afrinic board position.  afrinic
members (resource holders) elect board members, and the board elects its
own chair;  members, don’t get a vote in the afrinic chair election.

this isn’t to be confused with the co-chairs for the policy discussion
mailing list (RPD).  there is/was/may be a separate election for the
co-chairs of the afrinic policy development working group.  arguably,
that’s just as important a thing to vote for, because those co-chairs
determine if a policy under discussion has reached consensus, or not.
from my nuanced perspective, there have been decisions that i’ve
thought to be less than logical decisions taken here recently.  so,
getting involved in the PDP, is, also important!

[snip]

> I would also like to point out that SA single-handedly holds the
> single
> largest voting base for Afrinic, and as such I please urge all parties
> to take a stance and vote on this matter.

on a different mailing list, i saw someone urging candidates from his
particular locale to run for the board saying :  “it will be good to
have a XX nationality..”.  that sort of comment makes me quite sad,
because it rings of a variant of tribalism that we really should
outgrow.  rather than vote for someone because they are south african /
blah, vote for them because they represent what you want to see changed.
  you can only do that, by doing the necessary due diligence on the
candidates, and engaging with them, which i heartily encourage you all
to do.

as the largest member base, i’d suggest that the people here (who rely
on IP for their respective businesses), collectively, have _the most to
lose_, if you elect not to act..

—n.