[zanog-discuss] vote in the upcoming afrinic elections.

Jaco Kroon jaco at uls.co.za
Mon May 24 17:19:28 SAST 2021

Hi All,

Thank you Nishal for raising this.

As some of you may be aware kicked up quite a stink on the rpd and
members-discuss mailing lists.

I'm going to try to keep it short:

1.  Please do vote.  Really, we've been fighting what I can only
describe as a war the last few months on the RPD list and we really need
to get someone in the chair position that is righteous and above reproach.

2.  If you're on either of the above lists you'll be aware that I asked
about Lucille about affiliations etc and clarifications, which was nor
forthcoming.  I couple other people pointed to me off-list that Larus
Foundation (Through Larus Company) and Cloud Innovation are both under
control of Lu Heng ... and some of you may recall the IP high-jacking of
Seacom space where Cloud Innovation, and Macrolan (Paul Wöllner) was
involved.  It's unclear to this day whether or not this was an honest
mistake, and I've not dug further.  I've also been emailed off-list
accusations re Cloud Innovation which I can neither confirm nor reject
at this stage - but there are too many coincidences here to ignore.  I
have nothing against Paul, I've not met the man or engaged with him
personally, and I've got no way to confirm whether or not he can be
linked with the Larus/Cloud Innovation smoke.  The parties I've been
engaging with strongly suggests that he is part of the smoke, but that
in and by itself could be smoke and mirrors.

3.  As you're hopefully all aware Vika has been implicated in less than
savoury activities as well.
https://mybroadband.co.za/news/internet/308615-suspended-zadna-ceo-running-unopposed-for-afrinic-board.html
and
https://mybroadband.co.za/news/business/313983-vika-mpisane-fired-as-zadna-ceo.html
for reference.

4.  That leaves Mark Elkins.  POSIX.
4.1  I've recently had the pleasure of spending some time with Mark, and
he has a very rich knowledge of the history of Afrinic, and in-depth
understanding of the complications of Afrinic.
4.2  I happen to know that he's involved in assisting less privileged
areas to "fibre up" and personally assist with upskilling these
individuals and in the skills required for laying down fibre into these
areas.
4.3  I decided that referring to (2) and (3) above I had better action
similar reseach on Mark.  Now granted that my Google-Fu is probably the
worst of the entire technical team in ULS, I've not managed to track
down even potential smoke.
4.4  Mark has been involved with Afrinic in some form or another since
before official incorporation.
4.5  Mark has been running an ISP (POSIX) for many years, thus I believe
he has the required understanding of the underlying technology.

5.  I thus believe that not only is Mark the best candidate, but
practically he's the ONLY candidate.

I would also like to point out that SA single-handedly holds the single
largest voting base for Afrinic, and as such I please urge all parties
to take a stance and vote on this matter.

Kind Regards,
Jaco