[zanog-discuss] Rollover cable

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Thu May 6 11:59:15 SAST 2021

On 5/6/21 11:00, Ron B via zanog-discuss wrote:

> Its that poephol blue one shipped in every Cisco box ever. Attached to
> a USB to serial converter for a laptop.

Yeah, that's the console cable. Didn't know it was also called a
rollover cable, likely because of how the pins are terminated.

At any rate, a terminal server would be the best way to aggregate
console access to all your devices in the data centre.

We've been running ours on a Cisco 2901 with a bunch of serial ports.
Has worked good since about 2014. But there are many other vendor
options too.