[zanog-discuss] Recipe for Elastiflow

Dieter Smith dieter at megs.co.za
Mon Feb 3 20:34:12 SAST 2020

Hi Ronald. Maybe this can help.

Used this on Centos 7.
/https://phoenixnap.com/kb/install-java-on-centos//
//https://pandaways.com/elastiflow-with-mikrotik-and-centos-7///
//https://pandaways.com/install-java-jdk-8-on-centos-7//

Installed Elasticsearch and Kibana from repo.
Reference:
/https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/kibana/current/rpm.html//
//https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-elasticsearch-logstash-and-kibana-elastic-stack-on-centos-7/

I personally found the way that logstash deployed with
(https://pandaways.com/elastiflow-with-mikrotik-and-centos-7), not to be
ideal to update / maintain and ended up reinstalling it from repo.

Even when installed, Kibana generated various errors.
Lots of useful data was available after 12 hours with less errors.
(Don't know why)

It basically fully utilized a 6 core 2.4 GHz Xeon  16 Gig Ram, with
around 2 Gig of traffic from a Netflow v9 source.
Used LOTS of dis space...

I have not continued to use this solution, as it is above my pay grade
and will need enormous hardware.
Currently rather looking at pmacctd, Kafka, Druid combination, but i am
weary of java based stuff (Kafka), so influxdb with pmacctd as collector
might be the way to go.

Regards,
Dieter Smith