[Zanog-discuss] filter on Max AS path, yes/ no?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Sep 3 09:34:36 SAST 2019

On 3/Sep/19 09:25, Ben Maddison via zanog-discuss wrote:
> Once upon a time, there were some nasty bugs out there (esp. in IOS)
> that would be triggered by excessive as path lengths. I've not seen
> anything like this in a long time.

Yes, it has been a while, but if memory serves, the most recent was
c.2016, if my memory serves.

> We don't filter on path length, but I still occasionally have "wtf is
> that in dfz for?" moments.

Same here.

You can prepend all you want, we have LOCAL_PREF for all entry points.

That said, we do have BGP communities that allow you to add our AS to
your AS_PATH for prepends toward some of our upstreams. Of course,
whether they honour those or not is an entirely different matter.