[zanog-discuss] dual-stack FTTH - where are things at, really?

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Wed Nov 6 12:13:52 SAST 2019

We went through this CPE issue as well – and tested around 40 CPE’s – and you’re right it’s a problem.

The mikrotik does work – but there are some caveats.  Firstly – do not do dynamic V6 assignments to the customers – assign /48 statically – and then use DHCP/PD for the /64.  The reason for this goes something like this:

On connect – the CPE gets the /48 – it in turn assigns a /64 to the lan segment.  CPE disconnects – it gets a new /48 – CPE then assigns another /64 – except – it doesn’t ever issue an RA withdrawal – and because V6 source selection is a mess – you end up with a blackhole.

In almost every CPE we tested – from multiple vendors – this was a major problem.  The solution – static /48s – and its also the reason why when we wrote RIPE-690 (https://www.ripe.net/publications/docs/ripe-690) we recommended against dynamic assignment to end-users

With regards to what CPE’s work – if its GPON – Huawei makes the best v6 compliant ONT’s on the market – by a million miles – there is simply nothing that worked with the same ease.  On the normal run of the mill cpe’s – the mikrotik stuff was reasonable – but far from perfect.  There are also CPE’s made by a company called Fritzbox – those things worked pretty well – but last time I looked they had one major drawback – their UI can be put into English mode – but it wasn’t great – and the thing is primarily in german – no idea how far along they have come since I last tested though.

But the one piece of advice I can give you – do not do dynamic v6 assignment to end customers – you will end up with a headache

Andrew