[Zanog-discuss] which home ISP are the smart techs using these days?

Ronald Bartels ronald at amastelek.com
Mon Aug 26 08:13:47 SAST 2019

I use a VPN server called Softether
https://github.com/SoftEtherVPN/SoftEtherVPN The one on git is v5.  Fixes
many Mikrotik compatibility issues.
I would suggest each ISP provisions a vps with Debian and loads SE  This is
cascaded to a central vps where an engineer would auth with a VPN client.
Softether supports its own client, OpenVPN, L2TP/IPSec and SSTP.  The client
can be Mac, Windows, Linux or android.
Practically, an engineer would be able to NAT against any of the vps's
located at an ISP.  They can then use whatever desktop tools they have on
their laptops to troubleshoot the remote and local end.  And if someone
sponsors a vps in London and NY you can troubleshoot international as well.
The only problem I had was hackers filling my logs but that was sorted using
a blacklist script.