[Zanog-discuss] which home ISP are the smart techs using these days?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun Aug 25 13:24:19 SAST 2019

On 23/Aug/19 10:38, Graham Beneke via zanog-discuss wrote:

> Perhaps a handful of routers colocated in a DC, acting as tunnel
> endpoints and connected to the IXPs would be an sustainable way to get
> something off the ground.

I've often imagined that if I didn't work for an ISP but wanted a decent
VPN into a box with clean IP addresses and good connectivity (compared
to my home FTTH provider), this would be a good idea.

What would something like this look like? Each of us putting something
down on our respective networks that has some decent connectivity to the
Internet (including the exchange points)?

You'd be familiar with the NLNOG RING concept (https://ring.nlnog.net/)
from a "let each of us provide some resources", and perhaps we can make
it work this way here as well.

I'd be keen to invest time/energy/gear/money into this.