[Zanog-discuss] Someone pissed on Mark's battery

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Aug 13 01:34:44 SAST 2019

On 12/Aug/19 21:37, Tinashe Ndhlovu via zanog-discuss wrote:

> I think context got lost in that article… my assumption is that Mark
> was discussing speedtest.net as the sole measure of an ISP’s ability
> to deliver the best application experience in the cloud service
> oriented world of today.. effectively the IT suits’ measurement of
> which ISP is best for their organisation should not be determined
> solely by the results of speedtest.net but on all the variables…

I invited the author of that article for a face-to-face so they have
real context about the real world. They categorically refused to meet
face-to-face and insisted on using the few e-mail responses I gave them
to justify their raison d'être, which I can summise to be to defend
speedtest.net in the Republic, get tongues wagging and generate traffic
to their web site.

> The article plays to the psychy of the home internet user “SEACOM’s
> attack on Speedtest.net” (classic David vs Goliath), I do not think
> that was the intention..

The word "attack" was carefully chosen by the author of that article,
essentially to discredit and slander rather than move the needle forward
in a meaningful way for the average Internet user, i.e., rather than run
around testing "Internet speeds" at 120km/hr so you can sell advertising
space on your web site, sit with the ISP's and understand how the real
world works, so that users can make real informed decisions beyond just
price.

> sadly home internet users (and a shocking number of small to medium to
> large businesses) will go at anyone that “attacks” the only free tool
> they have to at least measure their internet speed…  and the article
> makes a note to point out a “paid for service” to measure speed
> metrics as proposed by “SEACOM” as suggested by the author..

I believe the English word for this is "pander".

> While form an ISP perspective this should be common knowledge.. the
> reality is as you will see in the comment section of that article.. is
> far from common

KZZNOG earlier this year. Ed ran a panel. If you know, you know :-).

> However.. I think this article was a good way to stir the pot as
> companies migrate to the cloud.. if the head IT hancho is using
> speedtest to determine the best ISP to access cloud applications then
> well.. they  have a lot of ISP migrations lined up..

The original article as at
https://www.htxt.co.za/2019/08/05/seacom-on-why-speed-tests-arent-an-accurate-measure-of-isp-performance/
- yes. What followed from the "gold standard in Internet news and
affairs in and around the Republic" after that was... well, you know :-).