[Zanog-discuss] The QoS debate

Ronald Bartels ronald at amastelek.com
Tue Aug 6 06:28:05 SAST 2019

DSCP EF is the placebo of the Internet.

*From:* zanog-discuss <zanog-discuss-bounces at lists.nog.net.za> *On Behalf
Of *Mark Tinka via zanog-discuss
*Sent:* Monday, 05 August 2019 23:06
*To:* zanog-discuss at lists.nog.net.za
*Subject:* Re: [Zanog-discuss] The QoS debate

On 5/Aug/19 10:30, donald.jolley--- via zanog-discuss wrote:

As long as it is cloud ready in the 4IR sprinkled with AI and ML.

To bite at the bait set by Ronald, my opinion is, like any technology there
are use cases for it and you need to understand when it should to be
implemented…properly.

As was one of the points. Last mile link on the customer router you might
want to “QoS/Reserve” bandwidth for certain applications like real time
apps.

In my mind, QoS only works if you can control the circuit end-to-end.

All Internet traffic is not end-to-end. So QoS for non-private applications
is a fool's errand, IMHO.